Pro MKII Tonebender Hybrid
' I can only thank the wizardry at David Main's house - I don't know what goes on in there but what comes out is nothing short of amazing !!! '
Skill and knowledge vs. snake oil and mojo. The clash of the titans! Who will win. Let's find out!
The Sola Tone Bender Professional MKII - The Hybrid . AKA The Squadron 27. The longest pedal name ever?
What is it? It's a Pro MKII that uses only one germanium transistor, and mild sprinkling of low level witchy design skills.
The idea was to replicate the sonic characteristics of David Main's vintage Vox Pro MKII (which is a very nice example) at what He'd consider to be its optimum operating temperature, as in, when it's performing and sounding at it's finest. For all intents and purposes, this pedal does sound like a fully loaded germanium device. Really.( yes it does - Ant )
The input transistor is a germanium device, a Philips AC127 to be exact. The NPN equivalent of the AC125. The two silicon transistors within the circuit are very peculiar gain specific devices.
This peculiarity and careful parts selection do what I'd want a germanium device to do. Tonally the germanium warmth is very much present but minus any movement in the bias when the pedal is at higher operating temperatures.
Bullet points are fun right? Lets do that.
- Hybrid design so fully temperature stable
- LED & DC battery eliminator (burn the witch!)
- NPN circuit design so works perfectly with non isolated power supplies
- Sounds like a prime example of a vintage Pro MKII but it's priced so you can still feed the kids at the end of the week.
- Polypropylene and polystyrene audio capacitors - these are good things
- Yes - it does clean up with the guitars volume control
Not entirely sure how many we are going to make, time will tell, but either which way, all units will be assembled by Daniel Lee Tunstill. All set-up procedures, transistor selection, final testing and inspection are carried out by David Main.
VAT (TAX) WILL BE DEDUCTED AT CHECKOUT FOR NON EU CUSTOMERS IF APPLICABLE